6th grade there was a kid in our class named Matthew, not Matt, only Matthew. While most of us were into playing sports, hunting and fishing, Matthew loved Star Trek. He would make phaser-taser guns and radios like the tv show out of card board at home, then bring them to school to play Capt. Kirk with his friends after lunch on the playground.

On a warm spring day, some of us jockish kids were playing football on the top field. Below us, on the lower field, Matthew sat by himself on the top metal tube railing that ran along a section of the school.

Todd, a school friend, bet me a buck I couldn’t hit Matthew with the football from the top field...Pfft. Hold my school milk, Bish!

I launched a perfect spiral across our field and down into the playground hitting Matthew square in his left eye. It knocked him backwards off the top railing, spun him into the second lower railing hitting the back of his head or back on it- couldn’t tell for sure, too far away. Then he face plants on the grass, where he laid motionless for several seconds.

I thought I’d killed Matthew. He finally sit’s up, letting out the loudest, screaming howl noise that a couple of the teachers easily heard and rushed over to him.

I’m thinking “Oh, Shît” I’m gonna be in so much trouble....Fortunately for me, Matthew, didn’t know what had happened. The teachers didn’t notice the autographed by Joe Namath football laying in the grass. Teachers assumed Matthew just lost his balance and fell off the railing.

I never did collect my dollar from Todd.

🦫

PS

Matt, I’m sorry I smashed your face with a football. My bad !

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”