Civil War Artillery At Gettysburg . Another one that’s well worthwhile if you’re interested in Arty. I have this one on my nook. It gets into the nuts and bolts of the types of guns, and the gunners who served in the batteries.
To be honest, I don’t do much of the tourist type stuff. Anyplace I go on the Battlefield is special for me. I can close my eyes and hear the rattle of musketry and the thunder of the guns. I can smell the smoke and the sweat and the blood. I can see the gunners stuffing shot in the barrel and the infantry grappling with bayonets and clubbed muskets. Wifey has said that I may have died there. As Shelby Foote said, “the ground talks to you”.
Penny’s pretty new to it, I know the stories, I have the passion for the history, but I’m not polished enough for being a guide. The good ones can bring the story alive.
A couple years ago they had started a new Ranger Program called (I believe) The Face of The Battle. I guess maybe the damn Covid killed it, but it really should be brought back. You’d meet the Ranger at a certain spot at a certain time. They’d have a photo of a soldier, tell you things about him, where he was from, and then relate his experience of the battle. What he saw and felt. It put the thing on a very personal level.
They used to have a “Living History where re-enactors camped on the field and demonstrated weapons and tactics, and camp life. I missed it as well. frown
I sure hope these programs are not lost for good. It’d be a real shame if a damn bug no deadlier than the flu caused this to be lost as well.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden