Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Interesting reading there, Mike. Thanks for posting it.
As much as I’ve been infatuated with Gettysburg, I’ve always thought that most people attach way too much importance to it. With Grant’s capture of Vicksburg, the die was already cast for the South’s defeat.
7mm

I agree. I have said for years that on the fateful day of 04 July 1863, the Confederacy failed to win the war at Gettysburg and lost the war at Vicksburg. My great-grandmother's brother was with the 13th Mississippi Infantry Regt., Barksdale's Brigade, Longstreet's Corps at Gettysburg. Another great-grandmother's brother was with the 43rd Mississippi Infantry Regt. at Vicksburg. My great-grandfather was with the 40th Alabama Infantry Regt., Moore's Brigade at Vicksburg. My wife's great-gr-grandfather was with the 39th Georgia Infantry Regt. at Vicksburg. My people saw a lot of history made on that fateful day.

My Great Grandfather Patton was at Vicksburg, or so I was told, but research of the 2nd Arkansas 2nd Arkansas infantry, that He was in, does not show them at Vicksburg. They were in a lot of major battles, and He mustered out in North Carolina at the end of the war. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.