I’ve seen those earthworks there at Snake Spring a few times, but never really strayed too far up off the road. I never heard of any near Claysburg, but lots of interesting stuff gets lost in History. I’ve got a buddy that lives on GunClub Road, so if I see him at P-ville for the car show I’ll ask him. It runs in my mind that I heard of works to protect Morrison’s Cove, but I have no idea where they’d be. Do you happen to know any geo-cache folks? They might be able to tell you.
I know there’s a few graves there on the state line from soldiers who died of illness there, but again, I never did to much exploring.
Mike, it runs in my mind I read that support troops at that time were around a 1 to 1 ratio, but I can’t swear to it. I know that nowadays, there’s 3 or 4 support troops for each one in combat arms, maybe more.
I thought the Army back then employed a lot more civilian contractors due to the rapid expansion of the volunteer units. At that time, not many generals put much thought into logistics as they do today. They’ve come to realize that the best troops in the world aren’t that much unless they’ve got a good base of support troops.
From 85 to 89, I served in a support battalion of the 2nd Brigade, 9th Infantry. My company was mechanical support, meaning if it broke, we fixed it. Another company transported supplies to the forward combat troops and a third company supplied medical support.
All told about 600 people in our battalion.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden