Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Originally Posted by jdm953
The south didnt fight a war to keep slaves. They fought because they were attacked. They simply fought back.

I've read most of the declarations of independence published by each of the southers states. Preserving slavery was mentioned as the prime cause of their secession. I don't recallany mention of being attacked.

No you haven’t, or you wouldn’t say that.

Why then we'll have to disagree.

As to why northern boys would enlist to fight the war, I have asked that question about my two great great grandfathers. Picture yourself as an Ohio farm boy. Your life is pretty boring. Your life is all laid out. You've never met a Southerner but heard bad things about them. Suddenly, they want to leave your country. Isn't that good? Why try to stop them?

Well, a local politician appoints himself a Colonel and raises a regiment. Aha, a chance for some excitement. To see the world. Spiffy uniforms. An enlistment bonus in cash. And everyone knows it'll be over by Christmas. This is your last--and maybe--only chance. Besides everyone's doing it. Danger? No, glory. One big battle and the Rebs will all run away like dogs....won't they?

The same sort of ferver infected the boys of hte European powers at the start of World War I.

The "fine print" in the contract said it was a 3-year enlistment. At the end of that time neither one re-enlisted, even though the war was not yet over.

It’s not a matter of disagreement, it’s a matter of you being wrong.