Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by slumlord
Not to take away from the topic

But my Century brand, Country Mile reels used to my better reels for panfish.

I had a green Johnson brand spincast reel when I was a kid that was pretty good too. Can’t remember the model name.
Johnson Century.

My parents' fishing pre-dated Zebco's with old, wore-out Shakespeare open face reels with braided line. My Dad's best friend was a big bass fisherman and convinced Dad I need a Garcia 5000, the best there was at the time, and Dad got me one which I still have. It still casts great. Dad was a snob against Zebco's but I managed to get a Johnson Century which Dad was okay with 'cause Virgil Ward used one. I later gave it to my cousin and he still has it. I got my wife a Shimano for her first reel. It was likewise, the best at the time. I later got her a 33 to back it up. It has disappeared along with my Snap On crescent wrench. I hope they'll turn up, but the hope is dimming.

Yep. That was it. The Johnson Century. Thanks EE. I think Mom got it for me at the Green Stamp store as part of a fishing kit.
I bought my first Garcia 5000 in 1974 or 75. It was the green 5000 D model. For Direct Drive. You had to let go of the handle for the drag to kick in. Great for hauling big ole bass out of log jams or trees when fishing plastic worms or jigs. Mostly what we called “dabbling” at that time. Seems like it was about $33 or $35 at Gibson’s. It was their cheapest model.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~