I have various baitcasters, eggbeaters, a couple of fly reels and a sidecast, but I also enjoy using the Zebcos.

I don't remember seeing them here when I was a kid. I started out with handlines. In fact my earliest memories are of green linen "cuttyhunk" wound onto a beer bottle, soon followed by getting a made-up monofilament handline wound onto a cylinder of cork - it came with sinker and hook all ready to go, and if you wanted a float you'd cut a piece of the cork off. I'm still not averse to a handline every now and again - there's something quite primal about it, but I went to eggbeaters as a teenager and then tried various other things.

They all have their place. I fish at local beaches and occasionally off the rocks, do a bit of trolling and bottom bashing in the salt too, and also fish for trout and some of our natives in the fresh.

On the Zebco reels though, I bought one for my wife years ago, as I thought it looked like an easy thing for her to learn to use. It is, and she loves them. I tried it and I like it too. Easy and simple things to use, and just about ideal for flicking little lures to trout or various pan fish. We now have about 4 between us. After having a go of one of mine a mate recently bought one too, for dropping little lures into trout streams.