Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
FWIW, I agree with most of Blue's comments & will add that except for pretty exclusive use along the lines of a dedicated DMR rifle, it would never, ever be a rifle gas gun for your stated purpose.

YMMV

MM

I understand that it will be thrown around, but is anything in the build to keep it from being a good weapon for their purpose. I'm listening as this is not my expertise.

Based on my experience, I'd say that it's definitely a "good weapon", but not a "good weapon for the purpose". Although well intentioned, the money is being spent in the wrong places.

He needs a rifle light enough to carry for hours, that'll shoot 2MOA with duty ammo, a light with all the candela, and a quality optic (preferably with magnification).

Ditch the $480 barrel and get him a $180 barrel and $300 light.
Trade the Super Tricon for a 4.5# SSA, or better yet a $120 G2S or $60 ALGish trigger and put the money toward an LPVO.
Make it a 16" mid-length, or a pinned 14.5"-13.7".

Butch,
Blue, as always, offers some great advise worth taking.
The Brownells version of the G2S is my default trigger for this type of build.
For a barrel, I'd split the difference and go with the Criterion Core Series, mid-gas barrel in the length of your choice in the 13.9" to 16" range. They are button rifled, chrome lined, very accurate, made to handle high round counts, and well balanced to be carried all day.

Alternatively you could save a few buck and look at something by Ballistics Advantage in their Hanson Profile. They are stainless barrels, come with a pinned low profile gas block, provide good accuracy for the money, and are balanced to be carried all day.

There a couple other items not mentioned that personally, I upgrade on tactical rifles.

1. Charging Handle. Either BCM, or Radian, preferably ambidextrous.
2. Ambidextrous selector switch.
3. Sling. A good modern 2 point such as the Magpul Multi-Mission Series.

In the OP, for a muzzle device, you mentioned a flash suppressor, but it didn't say which one. They are not all equal. Montana Man knows some makes and models worth serious consideration.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell