Originally Posted by butchlambert1
I need to reiterate that I posted this for input only. Nothing has been written in stone. We are not using an off the shelf AR barrel. Shilen supplies blanks to Nez Rongero's specs. Disregard money in this build as it isn't the issue. I have 2 custom Service Rifle legal comp. rifles and a couple "self Defense" AR rifles for my wife and I, but we have a couple shotguns and pistols also. I am not an AR savvy guy and this is the reason for the post.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from and appreciate your input.

Butch,

Will this rifle be uses primarily for sniping, or door kicking?

Shilen makes a great product, but the length, weight, and balance of the barrel need to reflect how it will be used.

In the sniper role you can get away with a longer heavier barrel since your nephew could expect to spend a good bit of time behind it while it sits on a bipod.

If however this will be used more as a patrol rifle, then an optimum solution includes a lighter, shorter, more weight back contour for quicker easier handling.

If Shilen will make Nez any profile he wants, that's great. I'd shoot for a profile around 1.6 pounds or less for a 16" barrel (and proportionally less if you go shorter, pinned and welded). I find that for guys like you and me who demand great accuracy out of all our rifles regardless of their roll, this weight range provides enough meat added stiffness and heat management and perform well on timed drills. Of course my 3rd daughters 1.1 pounds pencil weight build is very fast handling and an absolute joy to shoot.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell