Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
FWIW, I agree with most of Blue's comments & will add that except for pretty exclusive use along the lines of a dedicated DMR rifle, it would never, ever be a rifle gas gun for your stated purpose.

YMMV

MM

I understand that it will be thrown around, but is anything in the build to keep it from being a good weapon for their purpose. I'm listening as this is not my expertise.

Based on my experience, I'd say that it's definitely a "good weapon", but not a "good weapon for the purpose". Although well intentioned, the money is being spent in the wrong places.

He needs a rifle light enough to carry for hours, that'll shoot 2MOA with duty ammo, a light with all the candela, and a quality optic (preferably with magnification).

Ditch the $480 barrel and get him a $180 barrel and $300 light.
Trade the Super Tricon for a 4.5# SSA, or better yet a $120 G2S or $60 ALGish trigger and put the money toward an LPVO.
Make it a 16" mid-length, or a pinned 14.5"-13.7".

The optics and sling will be their choice as that is their part of this. Fortunately this project is not to save money in one area to put it someplace else. I want it to be a great rifle that is purpose built for their use.
Thanks