Recently I got a quail hunting trip in GA. I’d like to get my first double gun for the trip which will be in early to mid Winter. I could take a 12 ga. semi-auto or pump shotgun, but I’d really like to have a double barrel shotgun. I don’t do a ton of upland hunting to justify the purchase, but I could also use it for sporting clays/trap//skeet. Plus there’s never a bad reason to buy a new gun.

I’ve been doing a fair amount of research in the last couple of weeks. I’m pretty set in a 20 gauge. Some may think that may be too big for bob white quail, but I’d really like to get something that would be versatile and can use on pheasants if I go back to ND. I don’t think I have any intention of getting a 12 gauge, but am open to a 16 gauge.

My preference would be something relatively lightweight,around 6.5 lbs or less. Originally I was thinking of getting an O/U but in my research the SxS have really intrigued me.

My original thought is to spend the money on something of good quality that will last a lifetime and I can pass down to my son. I typically buy entry level guns, only to sell them a few years later and buy something better.

In my research I’ve also discovered the world of vintage side by sides, which I think would be really cool to own and shoot. Although, these old guns have more meaning when passed down through generations, but unfortunately my dad and grandfathers weren’t hunters or shooters so any vintage shotgun wouldn’t have a personal story with it.

I’ve been looking at the Browning Cynergy in 20 ga. and am not completely set on this, but I really like it.

I’ve also been looking at various CZ models, like the Bob White, Redhead, and SharpTail. I actually really like the weight and idea of the Upland Ultralight, but don’t love the looks of it. I wouldn’t be opposed to a Ruger Red Label either.

For some reason, the Berrettas don’t really do much for me.

Any other brands or specific shotguns you recommend or I should take a look at? I’d spend up to $2,000, if it is something I really like, is of great quality and will last a lifetime.

Sorry for the long post.