Originally Posted by battue
Go slow and educate yourself on SxS...If one doesn't know their way around, or buy on the advice of someone who does, you can easily buy a money pit when you are buying something old.

It may look cool to go on your Quail hunt with a SxS, however it isn't necessary. In addition many of the older ones have stock dimensions with considerable drop at heel. Harder to shoot and recoil to face will be increased.

Something made relatively recently is the wise choice for one not all that familiar with SxS..

Lots of wisdom in this post. You'd be fine with the Browning O/U you mentioned. In mid priced SxS guns, I like the Browning BSS or Ithaca SKB guns. I shoot a big long BSS 12 very well but it is a bit heavy to carry everywhere. The Browning 20's are more portable. The Ithaca SKB 12's are still handy guns. My preference is for 28 inch or longer barrels as I think they point better, but to each his own. I only buy if the condition is very good or better. I've been underwhelmed with the CZ shotguns. I think they look better than they work. When I got my first vintage gun, I consulted an expert friend who helped me choose it. Maybe you should make friends with battue. He seems pretty informed.