Loper, I am NOT an authority on SxS's, but I love them and have shot a lot of low budget upland (desert quail and chukar)...so, truth be told, I handled some fine English guns, courtesy of their owners, was advised by the owners that I could get English fit and handling by going with Basque (Eibar) guns. The knowledgeable guys also taught me some key points on gun fit, so, with my limited budget and limited knowledge, I haunted gun shows for a few years and found what fit most importantly and far second, what I could afford. Ended up with a Ugartachea and an AYA, both in 12 bore. I didn't shop for a name, I shopped for fit to my body dimensions. And never regretted either purchase. I got into 2 near new guns, sidelocks, double triggers, for less than 2400 total, 1970's dollars. Keep in mind, Basque guns have different grades, primarily cosmetics, and the upper grades can go well into 5 digits. I went with 'economy' grades, same guns, perfectly regulated, just plain wood and minimal embellishment.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.