Originally Posted by patbrennan
I would not go AI, minimal gains for the hassle. I would also give consideration to 9.3x62. Not absolutely convinced a 338-06 gives a lot more than a heavily loaded 30-06 (with 200 partitions as an example) if you run one of the lighter bullets in the 338.
One thing I found was that a fairly light gun (8lbs) shooting a heavier bullet (35 whelen, 250 grain) kicks a fair amount, at least more than I anticipated. Doing it again I would not go lighter in a medium bore and would likely go either 35 whelen (more versatility when downloaded, i.e. deer in the timber or plinking loads) or 9.3x62 if I thought I was up to it..

I am leaning away from the AI version.

I had not considered the 9.3x62 I will have to research that.

I am pretty oblivious to recoil. Especially when shooting at game (not on the bench sighting in) and ESPECIALLY when shooting at game in close quarters where it is "put it on the shoulder and drill them" kind of hunting with not a lot of time to think about things. So other than initial sight in with strap on recoil pads, ear plugs in under cans (cutting the noise down goes a long way to combating perceived recoil) etc I am not concerned with recoil. I will carry the rifle a lot more than I shoot it when hunting so saving the weight is the big win

Last edited by Termin8r; 10/06/21.