Originally Posted by Termin8r
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I would leave the 30-06 a 30-06 and just go kill elk. If the max range you are shooting is under 500 yards, you already have a fantastic elk cartridge.

You ought to look up the thread "deceased by Scenar" and see just how effective the 155 Scenars, when fired out of .308s and 30-06s are.

A 155 Scenar at 2900-3000 fps would certainly be plenty.

In spite of what neophytes and flatlanders say and think, you don't need cartridges that often get used for African dangerous game just to shoot an elk. The are really not that hard to kill in spite of BS spouted.

I will check that thread out.

I kiled my first elk with a .308 pushing 180 grain Nosler Partitions. He was dead as can be 75 yards away. My issue was no exit wound, no snow and elk tracks everywhere. Blowdown was so think I heard him fall to the ground with a loud thud and saw which way he ran. He was only 70 yards away and it still took me 30 minutes to find him. I was kind of panicing until I did.

Bullet went through both lungs, no shoulder hit, just lungs and balled up against the far hide. Just a trickle of blood from the entrance wound. I decided I wanted full penetration after that and grabbed the .300 WBY, used it all over the west and two plains games hunts in RSA and Namibia and never looked back...until this year. I realized that I was carrying way to much gun and scope (and binoculars and cloths and body fat) than i needed in that blown down timber.

The 300wby is an excellent cartridge. One of my favorites. However, like I said earlier, you should try a 200gr partition in that 30-06. It will dig every bit as much at that 300wby will. Even at sedate speeds of 2,600fps. It works well in timber areas. My last elk that I shot with the 30-06 and 200gr partition fell in those exact circumstances. As with most of my elk killed, he did not move much after the hit. I can see your concerns after using your 308 and the 180. The same thing happened with a bud of mine using his "trusty" 308w and a new bullet he was trying (178gr ELDX). At least you were able to find your elk, he was not so lucky.. Anyway, you want a bullet that's going to penetrate very deeply and do so with minimal bloodshot meat, try the 200gr partition one of these days. Try one in your 300wby if you have to. Performance will be similar either way. Now, if you are just looking to have something odd and unusual, go for it. The cartridges you mention do not have any advantage over the old 30-06, but they are cool nonetheless...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA