Some great information here so feel free to ask - but with a warning... you'll get so much info you may have a hard time deciding which way to go so pay attention to details that make sense to you. Also, we love to spend other peoples' money so be prepared if you ask to start saving for that next thing .... wink

Comes right down to it, I've shot elk with a 30-06/180 grain bullets, 300 Win Mag 180 grain bullets, 338/225 grain bullets, 300 Weatherby 180 grain bullets, and now a 26 Nosler/140 grain Accubonds from 30 yards to 600 yards and really couldn't say which one killed better. The rifles that handled best were the easiest to get the job done however.... and that doesn't always a short barrel to accomplish it. I've used my 26" barreled Winchester classic and my 22" barreled Pre 64 custom , both in 338 WM in thick timber and open country and really didn't notice a difference in issues even though I really thought I would...

I will say that no matter what rifles I've migrated to over the years due to my rifle looniness like most on this site, I would never feel undergunned for anything in North America with a good stout 30-06 that was built right and was carrying the proper bullets for the job at hand...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.