It's OK to use a quality hollow point. Really, it is. This notion of solids only for dangerous game is an internet farce. Solids are required for dangerous game in Africa because the size of the animals is so extreme and hide/bones so tough. Shots on these animals require very precise shot placement, typically brain - even in self defense situations.

Hollow points are designed to inflict maximum damage and energy transfer. Most hunting regulations forbid non-expanding bullets of any type for hunting...because they don't kill game effectively. Where allowed, the military chooses hollow points for missions because they are significantly more effective than FMJ's on adversaries. Yet we have this internet notion that animals that are going to eat us, and must be stopped with some sort of solid bullet. If solids are so effective, why don't we use them on two legged threats? There's no vital in a black bear that's more than 15" under the skin from any direction when he's positioned in a threatening way. Almost every reputable expanding bullet these days penetrates 15" in gel tests. I know gel tests are not real world, not even close, but it's one perspective. If something is gnawing on me, I want immediate damage to vitals or CNS. I don't care if the bullets comes out the other side. I'm not tracking some blood trail.

Sure, caliber matters too. Someone will say a 44mag, with a 300gr. lead hard cast doing 1200fps with a meplate of 0.4" is the ticket. Sure, it also has 50% more energy of a hot 10mm.

For me, when I'm in the mountains in CO, I carry a 10mm with 200grain XTP's in everything but the G29 (which is absolute last resort woods carry gun), which gets 200grain lead hard cast. The only reason the LHC is carried in the G29 is due to the short barrel, the velocity of copper bullets (more barrel resistance) is not much better than a 40SW. Lead bullets are about 50-100fps faster and produce a measurable increase in energy. For me, I want full energy transfer to the target, penetration to at least 20" (heavy bullets help), and bullet construction that will expand, but not break apart. Getting that penetration from a heavy expanding bullet requires hot 357's, 41's, 10mm's or 44mags.

Last edited by Mountain10mm; 10/15/21.