Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by memtb

Knowledgeable handgun hunters do not use, OK very rarely use JHP’s on large dangerous animals, though, most Black Bears are not extremely large....however, it only requires one large bear if you are the object of it’s affection!

Also, knowledgeable handgun hunters, understand the ft/pounds of energy at typical handgun velocities means near nothing. It’s penetration, penetration, penetration......equating to greater tissue destruction were it is needed! Shallow, large surface wounds, mean little.....ya gotta get to the vitals, and break, tear, and damage stuff!

For a very good description of what the use of the “wrong tool for the job” will do for you.....read Larry Kelly’s (renowned handgun hunter) story of his Alaskan bear encounter using a 44 Magnum loaded with JHPs. 6 (I think) rounds fired at close range .....none of which penetrated to the bears vitals! Had it not been for the guides .375 H&H and the bear electing to turn and run at the last moment.....forensic experts would have been telling the story! memtb

Handgun hunting is different than defensive handgun use against animals. You pick your shot when hunting. I've shot deer with 44mag, 240gr HP, left a fist size hole on the back side. I'd have rather used a solid and kept more meat.

This notion of penetration is valid, but only sometimes. You have to stop the threat, that does not require penetration per se, it requires a vital hit (heart, CNS, pelvis). We all know that, same for two legged vermin. Penetration does not make that hit any easier. It just means that if the shot angle isn't exact, you stand a better chance of getting to the vitals. A black bear does not require 48" of penetration. Period. I want maximum damage on the way to the vital. I don't care if the bullet comes out the other side or not.

Alaskan brown bear, Cape buffalo, bison, sure, all require something more powerful than a 10. No doubt. The OP specifically said BLACK BEAR.

I'd use a flat point hard cast on black bear in a New York mini second

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first