Originally Posted by TheKid
That’s pretty awesome that you guys get to kill those monster bodied deer, unless you have to drag them. wink.
The absolute biggest bodied buck I ever checked when we had the state check station was 178lb dressed, an old bruiser 11 pointer.
Over the years of checking deer and filling in the books I found that the average buck killed here weighs about 115 dressed. The average mature buck, nice but not huge just the ones you can tell are 4-5 years old, will go about 130 dressed.
Does average about 80, biggest I ever checked was 124 and the biggest I ever shot was 101.

We do get some nice racks, lots of nutrition and a 2 buck a year limit with only one being a rifle kill, plus generally easy winters. Everyone has a trail cam pic of a 150 or better incher coming to their feeder but most of them don’t get killed.

I jettisoned the cams years ago and never really started with the feeders. I instead decided I really like to just hunt and when I go out to hunt the goal is an old mature buck. They’re smart and fun to try to outwit, anybody can kill a forkie or basket rack.

This guy won’t make the book and he probably weighed 130lb dressed. But he was scar faced and worn toothed, had a doe he was riding herd on and fending off a younger buck. Plus I had my favorite accomplice in tow. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hey that’s a cool buck!

I think the spirit of this thread is big where you’re from. A 178 pound bucks is over 200 live weight for sure.

The 204# buck I did have to drag quite a ways. But I shot him at like 11:45 AM. I think IIRC I got to my truck about 4 PM. I had to drag him about 1/2 mile before I could load it on the wheeler. Luckily the wheeler was about the same height as the tailgate.

Camp is where you make it.