Bob. That rifle is not only wood and blued, it's a 270!!! I built that rifle for her as a Christmas present the year before we were married. The stock is claro with a rosewood tip, the last blank I had Ed Shulin turn for me before he passed, think I payed him $40 for the blank and $60 to turn it. He covered shipping, he was a good one. The barrel is a Douglas that I got at a bargain price because it was a #5 .277. I turned it to match a Shilen #1 and finished it at 22". In my hurry to have it ready for the inevitable post Christmas range trip I put the only scope I had around on it, a Leupold 1-4 Shotgun with a heavy, and I mean heavy, duplex. She shot it like that and refuses to have any other scope or reticle. She's used it on deer and bear so far so I guess I'm not going to argue with her since all have been one shot kills.

She shot the buck with a 130 hornady and Jack's load of 4831, he fell as if he'd been struck by a bolt from above. I was right beside her and had to talk her out of shooting the smaller buck that was with him. Probably should have let her knock him over but you know who was doing the dressing and dragging.

For the trip the picture is from we gave the rifles a quick coat of Johnson's paste wax and had zero problems with rust after 5 days hunting. Though I'll admit it didn't rain much that trip.

If you ever get the chance to hunt Kodiak do it. We go as often as we can and always have a great time. It is truly a special place.