Originally Posted by electram
A couple of weeks ago my 11 year old son went on a field trip with school. 20 something kids and 2 teachers, went to some kind of adventure camp in the mountains with staff, etc. Was gone for a couple of nights.

When he got home, my wife picked him up at school and brought him home, I asked him how it was and he said he had a great time but that he was bit by a dog. First I heard of it, figured it must not have been an actual bite. I asked him if I could see it. He pulled down his shorts and holy chit...there's a 6-7" long bruise across the top of his thigh....2 rows of teeth marks black and blue, punctuated by two k9 marks that broke the skin.

I about lost it and called my wife over and she really did loose it. I asked him what happened. He was on a rope course and a large boxer-like mix belonged to one of the staff. Dog ran over jumped up and bit my son on the thigh and pulled him off the rope, unprovoked. Did it hurt? yes. Did he cry? yes for five minutes. Did anybody see it? yes one of his teachers and one of the staff. Did anybody look at it? no. What did they do with the dog? nothing. he was not put up. they just "held" him. Over the next 2 days he bit one of the teachers and chased a couple of other kids.

My wife immediately called the school principal. He called the other teacher, the one that was bit and did not see what happened to my son, and had him call us. This accomplished nothing because he basically said he didn't know what happened. The principal then emailed my wife and said let him know if there's anything else he can do.

That's what really pissed me off. At that point I looked up the county where this place was located, and made a 9:00PM call to the non-emergency dispatch and filed a report. A deputy called right back and took the report, drove out there to get information. When he went back the next day to put the dog in quarantine, the owner had fled the state with the dog, having got word of the report. They did get the vaccination records and the dog was vaccinated, which was my main concern other than getting the dog away from an adventure camp where it could continue to attack kids.

I fired of an email to the principal telling him what should have been done. File a report, make sure the kid is OK, notify the parents, get the dog away from the kids, etc.

My wife has basically lost confidence in the school. They have not apologized or advised they would take corrective action with the teach that saw this and did nothing. If the bite had been on bare skin he would be disfigured. On the neck, he could be dead. I can't imagine how people that phugging stupid to see that happen and do nothing could be left in charge of kids.

Your family's fortunes are better than a family down the road from me. About '68 or '69' our school came home from a swimming trip minus one eighth grade boy. He was found at the bottom of the pool, after heads were counted while reboarding the bus to come home. The eighth grade class totaled 60 students.

I hope your boy heals well and has no lasting issues from the bite.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.