Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
How does one cash out of these types of risky investments and who pays you? I work with a guy who basically over night lost? control, access or value of his rather large investment. To the point where he was considering flying out west to their main office.

I'm not touching cryptocurrencies.

I'd be curios to know more of your friends story, sounds like he might have fallen victim to a Ponzi scheme, I know people who have been duped the same way.

As for who pays you it's those who want the crypto for themselves, much like a stock, who pays you when you sells stocks? the ones buying it. Crypto is a bit different because many are accepted as currency and can be used to buy goods. the more places accept crypto currency X the higher it's value goes up. there are different models on how it's limited in order to achieve a realized value. like with Shiba Inu they made trillions of them, but many are "burned" for different reasons, such as at the time of a transaction. meaning it's self limiting. more transactions means fewer coins in "circulation" crypto can be held in a portfolio, through an intermediary or crypto wallet. if you have crypto in a wallet you can Stake it, basically a digital form of a CD meaning it takes it out of circulation and you can get interest on it by doing so. this is the simple explanation. those who bought when it was in it's infancy can buy more coins for fractions of a cent and watch the price rise, much like buying amazon stock in the 90's for a buck. with advancements in trading apps anyone with a smartphone can buy and sell stocks and cryptos at any level (most have a minimum buy in of 100 bucks) then you can trade and build a portfolio.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.