I can pretty well tell the weather and topography you frequently hunt in by how you respond to this tread.

Prior to Sitka and the like, I bought a lot of mountaineering clothing to hunt in. Prior to that, I did it the hard way with carhartts and the like.

Clothing made for the Fudd army won’t cut it, and can even get you killed. But it’s fine for an awful lot of hunts.

But hike a couple of predawn hours in a nasty blizzard to catch feeding elk and you’ll start to get an idea. Then when you get up to a high point and slow down, notice how you don’t get as cold because the fabrics are wicking the sweat off your skin, and you were able to carry up some really warm outer layers to boot. Pretty soon, you’re dry. Rinse and repeat all season and the fabrics still look new for the most part. You’ll be willing to spend the money too.

If you go hunting and aren’t extremely uncomfortable to mildly worried in your Fudd army attire from time to time, then you’re probably going to have a hard time seeing the justification for Sitka.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.