Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by rte
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I know a fairly senior person, now retired, who managed logistics in Afghanistan for several years. He told me that most of the vehicles that we left in Afghanistan were well worn and, other than the aircraft, weren't worth the cost of returning it to the U.S. or Europe to be rebuilt. Whenever we provide military gear to a third party, we lose control of it and it can end up anywhere. I've seen pictures of MRAP trucks that we gave to Qatar and the UAE in Yeman, where they were being used by rebel forces.

Did you view the video?

Those vehicles don't appear to be "well worn".

The guy who I know was on the ground in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Since he was there, I'll take his word for how things were when he left in 2018/2019. He was there as a government employee and after he retired from civil service he worked for a vehicle maintenance contractor. He told me months ago that once the maintenance contractors left and there wasn't a steady stream of common or heavy repair parts being trucked through Pakistand or ighter critical parts being air lifted into Bagrum, the Afghan military's ground and air transportation would only last for a few months before they had to start cannibalizing the different vehicle types. He told me that the Afghans could just barely maintain basic vehicles and had little chance of maintaining sophisticated weapons systems once they started to go down.

The Afghans did the same thing after the Soviets left, ran the vehicles until they didn't run and then cannibalize the fleet to keep fewer and fewer vehciles running. I read somewhere that the Paks are buying, or trying to buy, weapons from the Afghans as a means by which to keep those weapons out of the hands of the Pak terrorist organizations that operate in the Federally Administrated Tribal Ares on the border with Afghanistan.

Or so it seems to me.

The Pakistan secret police are Pakistan's worst enemy. The government only operates with their permission. It was those tribal lands that the Taliban set up camp and the rent America paid to drive across Pakistan was used to support the Taliban. Did you see any skinny and starving Taliban in any videos 3 months ago ??. All other Afghanistan's were ordered out of Pakistan about 3 years ago. Some had been in Pakistan since the Russian invasion. Their homes were destroyed by the Russians or someone else claimed their tribal grounds so they had no where to return to. About the time 3 years ago that the Taliban really started going back into Afghanistan and taking over local governments close to the border of Pakistan.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.