Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
This ain’t my first rodeo. I’ve tried many times and just can’t get on board with a busy reticle. I don’t mind some basic wind holds like a Swaro 4w, but that’s it. I want nothing on the vertical. 35+ years of hunting with a plex crosshair and it’s what I like. End of story.

The SHV 3-10 is what I’ve also come up with as the best compromise, but my eyes at the range like a little more than 10x. In the field it’s enough. And yes I am aware of the limitations with fov and SFP at max range.

Has anyone torture tested a Zeiss V4? I have one on a .270, not much of a test tho but it’s been flawless. I also have a V6 on a 7mag that I love, but no V6 in the size I want.

a 3-12 has become my favorite all around scope power range for general use. enough on the low high end for load development and low enough on the low end for quick shots on moving animals. the scopes are also generally sized in a manner than isn't too big as well. I have a zeiss v4 in 3-12, its a great scope so far. honestly I can't say how durable it is. I suspect its going to hold up very well. I asked one of the big whig guys about the v4 line and told them they should offer it with the zero stop turret like what is offered on the 4-16 model. he said they don't have any plans of doing that and that its unlikely. I have static tested the 3-12 and found about 1% tracking error, if my memory serves. the 3-12 has covered turrets and isn't meant to be a dialing scope. 1% tracking error is not going to be noticed by anyone and is within spec and very much within passing range IMO. I use the reticle to hold off on this scope and rifle combo as I don't intend to shoot it past 450 ish for example I tested an elite 4200 2 weeks ago 4-16, again capped turrets. error was about 6%. I don't intend to dial that scope either, its repeatable and is fine for the use I will use it for.

if you really like the 3-12 power range, I would suggest huskemaw. I have one that has been bounced around for 3 seasons. the scope tracks perfectly. still will dial up and hit where its supposed to hit. its on the rifle I hunt with the most. The downside is huskemaw might one day not be in business, if you need scope repair you are f'd. The other downside is based on that downside they are expensive if you pay retail. I suggest NOT paying retail, LOL. there are ways of doing that. The other downside is the show its associated with and the name of the scope is hokey and your friends might make fun of you. aside from all that, its one hell of a scope, I would buy another all day long for the rifle I use it on.

the other scope you might be overlooking is the v4 4-16 model. I own 2 of them now. both track absolutely perfectly, (and YES I check!!) zero stop turret, covered windage. If I knew they were totally durable I would sell my two NXS nightforce scopes and replace them with v4's they are optically the best scopes I have.

the LRHS is probably one of the most durable, but I personally dislike FFP in a 3-12 power range. the 4-18 model handles the reticle much better.

You know, based on specs, there is a lot to like on those Huskemaw scopes. But that dang show is just so bad. I’ve always been turned off of them because of that show!