For those of you who are running the latest iteration of 3-12 or so Zeiss Conquests: Are you regularly dialing with them?

They don't really offer a reticle configuration that interests me at this time, but maybe they will at some point?

As to eye relief on the SHV being enough for a 338 - I have one on a 7 lbs 338 that I've shot prone, and I've never had even the faintest worry about scope brow. Also have one mounted on a light Tikka in 300 win mag, and no concerns there either. They have a forgiving eye box, so mounting them, even without a lot of room to position them, is really not an issue.

Of course, you can eliminate a lot of issues with a rail, but they often result in scopes with objectives under 50mm being higher than need be. On actions where the scope mount screw holes are aligned with each other and with the barrel, I've had nothing but great experiences with using 2 piece Warne and Burris 2 piece XTR bases. The Burris are multi slot to accommodate whatever scope positioning you need, and they are pic compatible so you have more options in rings, including the use of Burris Signature XTR rings to add inclination to the set up without adding too much hight via a pitched rail.