Hawkeye;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's looking to be a good one in your part of the world and that you're well.

Thanks once again for posting the photos of your collection, I appreciate and enjoy it always even if I don't comment.

This time however, I had to for a couple of reasons, the first of which is that's about as fine an example as one could hope to find of a 98 in military dress.

The other is that my "walking around in the mountains" rifle is built on an action like your Mauser. It's only markings were the Mauser roll mark on the front receiver ring, aside from the serial numbers. There are no Waffenampts on it anywhere, unlike most of the other 98 actions I've built stuff on. I actually didn't twig on it until the gunsmith up the valley was installing the second barrel on it mentioned he'd seldom seen them in his over 50 years in the trade.

Somehow I didn't know the history of how the Germans were producing them, but it makes sense that they found a loophole.

When I traded a long passed on buddy for the action it was a bit of a basket case and if memory serves I gave a whopping $35 CDN for the action and bolt only, but admittedly that has to be 25 years ago.

Here's what mine looks like as of today, but as soon as late whitetail season is over it's getting the paint stripped and something a little more brown toned applied.

[Linked Image]

Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of the 'Fire crew south of the medicine line.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"