Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Back in the dark ages I bought 30 Turkish Mausers for $29.95 each- - - - -complete rifles, not barreled actions. The sand in the barrel channels was included at no extra charge. These were made in Orbendorf under contract to the Turkish government, so they're actual German-made rifles, not knockoffs made in some local armory. I made a bunch of sporters out of them, and I've still got a few in original condition. The originals are selling these days for at least 10 times my original cost!

I remember seeing a big table a gun show piled high with Turkish Mausers, 60 of them piled up like firewood. Sixty bucks a piece. like you said, German Mausers made at oberndorf. I bought one, great rifle!

Yep, back in the 1990s they were coming in in droves, by the crate full, and cheap, like you say. Back at that time, I was looking through a bunch that had just been put out on the floor, and one of them looked pristine, like it had never been issued. I immediately grabbed it, brought it up to the cashier, and she started processing me for the purchase, when the owner's son passed by and caught a glimpse of it, picked it up and looked it over admiringly. I commented, "Nice, right?" He replied, "Oh, this was put out by mistake ... it's got a defect, and we can't sell it." He then went into the back with it, and that was that. What an a-hole.

I went back and found another one, but the best of what was left, which, while functional and in reasonable shape (clean bore, too), wasn't much compared to the one the owner's son stole from me.