That's a real beauty and a great catch. Can remember when surplus M98s could be had in the late 1950s, for around $50. But noting as tasty as the one in the pics.

Been a Mauser slut since i was a kid. Dad sent a VZ 24 (Brno) home at war's end. Straight bolt, unaltered except he cut the original stock back in the late 40s, for a deer rifle. Metal finish is very good. Killed a doe with it some years ago. Military V groove sights aren't for feeble eyes. Same for the 1903 US Rem (1942) w/original sights that I have. It is not an 03A3.

All of my other Mausers and variants thereof, have been sporterized. Including the the 1939 M98K my former employer brought home in 1945. Little metal finish left on it, but it's all matching numbers. Wish now I'd let it be? Also have the ol' boy's P38 AC41 w/matching numbers, even the magazine.

But I shortened the barrel on his M98, bolt reconfigured, drilled and tapped for scope bases. Timney trigger, low scope safety and Fajen walnut stock. It's very accurate with my loads and has killed several deer.

Also have a M98 small ring Mauser in 8x57. Think it's a Danzig? An FN M98 pattern action semi custom, that started life as a Columbian Army rifle in 30-06.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.