I'll try and help you out with your problem.

1. Are you running a museum? If not, you may want the money they are bringing. Be aware of seller's remorse.

2. If you want to shoot it, either find a cheaper alternative, but 98k's in decent condition, and unmatched are going for a lot these days, or shoot it and enjoy the heck out of an extremely valuable and unique gun. The value will drop a bit as the wear and tear increases, but will still bring ridiculous money down the road.

I collected all manner of guns at one time or another. I eventually always sold the more pristine and kept the dogs to play with. There are so many Mauser variants that it is hard to collect them all. But you have one of the most desirable Mausers out there. It ranks up there but probably a bit below an Oberndorf Sporter or bonafide Nazi marked SS rune gun as far as value. You can't beat a banner Mauser as far as pure class! And you have a pristine example of a known variant that nobody seems to know why they happened. I think someone jumped the gun on 98k's either at the top and then changed their mind or a subordinate jumped the gun and was clamped down from higher. One thing for sure is there are more than a couple of these in existence and why are the other military proofs, acceptance marks, and Waffenampts absent? Who knows, maybe it was an honest mistake. One thing for sure they were not backyard conversions.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member