Originally Posted by jorgeI

If it is, guarded well. Was at my local gun shop yesterday and they had bought a bunch of Mausers 92.95 & 98s but one was a very fine specimen 98K (1938) with no import marks. Are you sitting down? granted this store is ridiculously high as a matter of course but they wanted 4999 for it. Yes four THOUSAND. Can you 98 guys shed some light on collectible Mauser prices these days? They also had an all matching (except the magazine) Luger made in 1916 ( I suspect the grips were refinished but that's another story) for t3K. That seems hign but reasonable but are 98s that expensive now?

Thanks, Jorge. No import marks on it. Matching serial numbers. I don't believe I spent huge bucks on it back 30 years ago, as I don't recall it being a high dollar gun, particularly, but my memory could be faulty on that. The absence of military markings on it could have been the reason I didn't have to spend big on it. Could be that the absence of military marking, today, isn't considered as much of a drawback as it did 30 years ago.

PS This particular model (The "Standardmodell") was exported all over the world between the World Wars, and also ended up, once hostilities began, arming the early SS, from what I've read, even though they were never marked for the SS, or anything Nazi related.