Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Threads like this remind us why that old show "The Waltons" was so popular.

We all want to live in simpler times.

They always appeared rather opulent to me for a depression era family.

I think people in the country did better during the depression. My father talked about hunting deer outside the legal season for food.

Mom started out life in Williamson county Tx in a sharecroppers shack. Said there were no deer in their area. They had all been shot. She didn’t see her first deer until she was an adult. Said that her dad might get a rabbit or a squirrel if lucky. But the mainstay of their meat diet was the chickens they raised. They had it better than most.

Dad had it better. Same type two room batt & board shack. But in the blackjacks of Atascosa county. Lots of deer. And they ate em year round. They had to haul water from Galvan creek in the wagon for the garden. No well. Hand watered everything. Grandpaw would hitch hike to San Antonio for work. Many times he took several dozen home made tamales that grandmaw made and he would sell them for a dime a dozen. When he was on the road crew building bridges out around Sonora and Ozona he ended up with a small wood stove for their tent and grandmaw started baking pies and selling them. That was around 1926. She was still baking pies and selling them to cafes in San Antonio 2 years before she died. She dies in 1999

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS