Originally Posted by elkaddict
Is 58 old? Actually, please don’t answer that….:). I’ve had a number of these. When I picked up a chronograph 30 years ago and saw how underloaded the 30-06 was, I started hand loading. I soon got bit by magnumitis bug and traded “up” to a 300win, I then traded that when I found a matching pair of weatherbys in 300 and 340. I was living in the Rockies in those days hunting in multiple western states every year and I thought those rifles were perfect for the 300+ yard shots I was averaging on deer, elk antelope and moose. I then rationalized the “need” for an even flatter shooting 7mmSTW. Fast forward to 2008 and I moved to NY. I was still hunting in the west every year, but the longest shot I could take on our upstate farm was 363 yds. About the same time, I started noticing the recoil out of my western rifles actually was becoming an issue. While I could still shoot these things to their sub 1” potential, it was no longer fun. So what did I do? I returned to my 06 roots. Deer are just as dead, and I discovered how nice it was to always see the bullet impact. My shots do require paying more attention to precise range and the ever present mountain wind (shots are routinely 310-340 yds). Like all rifle loonies, I’m constantly thinking about my next project. After remembering I have an unused perfectly capable set and forget scope, I’ve nearly rationalized another acquisition, again in 06. It seems I have a “need” to have an 06 that is dedicated to see what 200g partitions will do. I guess you can say the 06 bug has bit pretty hard….again.

I picked up a tang safety Ruger 77 Round Top with sights at a pawn shop years ago, as I just liked the lines. I never had a Ruger 77 that was an outstanding shooter and I had thoughts of driving the rifle to see Jess to make it a 338-06
The first trip to the range with the rifle and chronograph changed all that, as I found the magic load for the box stock rifle. Three shots out of a cold clean barrel will go into about 3/4" using 180 gr. Nosler BT pushed by 58.0 H4350 and lit with a CCI 250 primer. The velocity out of the 22" barrel was right at 2800 fps. Sure I can beat that velocity by 250 fps with my 300 WM, but the Ruger is lighter and has less recoil. The 30-06 deserves the accolades it receives as a hunter's cartridge.