This is one thread that I found real interesting. I became a fan of the 8x57 when I started handloading for one. Ten years ago I picked up a K98 as part of a trade at a gun show. It's one of the German built ones that were rebuilt in Yugoslavia after the war, ( see page 128 of "Mauser Bolt Rifles", by Ludwig Olson). and they also ground all the original German markings off. But at least they did a nice rebarrel job on it. The thing absolutely loves Sierra 8mm 150 gr. spitzers (Sierra #2400) in front of 53 grains of H-380 for about 2697 fps average from a 23 inch barrel. That should be a safe load in any sound 98 action as my old Sierra manual (the 50th anniversary manual) lists 55.1 grains as max with that combo. Good luck with yours in Wy. in a few weeks. I was out there last October but I was either totin' my 25-06 or my 300 WSM. The 8x57 should do O.K. with decent handloads as the factory hunting ammo ain't worth squat 'cause they don't load it to anywhere near what that cartridge is capable of, probly cause of product liability concerns with some of the older worn out junk that some people shoot.