I’ve been test-driving a few Linux operating systems (OS) out of curiosity. You all know I’m a proponent of Linux. I absolutely know that 99% of you non-business computer users could switch to Linux and do everything you do now, and do it simpler, faster, and with fewer headaches. More importantly, with far fewer system issues, no spying on your use, no ad tracking, and no surrendering control of your computer to Microsoft.

So...here are my thoughts on three Linus OS for when you’ve finally had enough of Big Brother’s tyranny.

If your computer originally ran Windows 7, look at Zorin 16 Core. Chances are, you might not even know you’d switched to something new except that your machine will run a lot faster and have a whole lot of hard disk space left over. All the basics programs you need are there, from Firefox to Libre Office, plus an email client, utilities, maps, weather, photo manager and editor, calendar, contacts, video and audio players, basic games, and more. Plus a software store where you can find whatever you need to replace most of the bloated Windows programs you use now. Zorin is clean, elegant-looking, and familiar. It’s a great way to transition to Linux. ZORIN

If your computer came with W10, you should by all means look at Linux Mint Cinnamon. The current version is 20.3. It includes everything in Zorin noted above, and lots more. There’s even an app that allows you to watch streaming TV and movies. It’s a Cadillac but it still takes up less disk space and memory than Windows. Again, you’ll feel right at home switching from 10 to Mint. Things are where you expect them, run like you’d expect, and do everything you want. It’s my favorite. MINT

Then there’s MX Linux. This is a mid-weight program that is simply stunningly beautiful. It will not be as familiar to Windows users and is probably not the best choice for a true newbie to Linux, but it is an amazing OS. Give your self a year or so learning Linux before you tackle this one, but when you’re ready, give it a test drive. MX

Now here’s good news: You can test drive any of these (or hundreds more!) at a website called DistroTest. Go there and select an OS. It will load and you can explore it for 30 minutes absolutely free. The OS won’t run as fast or as smoothly as if it were installed on your box, but most functions work. You’ll get to see and actually use the OS of your choice. DISTRO TEST

Zorin and Mint websites have complete installation instructions, from how to create a bootable USB stick with the OS of your choice, to how to test drive the OS in live mode or actually install it. There’s nothing to lose and no risk.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.