I have used linux since 1999. Started with Redhat. Did a lot of diddling with other distros, but these days I install Linux Mint and call it a day.

The whole household runs on old/refurb laptops with Mint installed, save for my wife's. She has this Criqet machine for which I could not find linux drivers.

If I feel lke splurging, I will buy a reconditioned used laptop. If I am feeling sporty, I will pick up lappys off craigslist. IBM, Lenovo, and HP business class are best prospects. Not a single computer in the house was bought new.

Some variant of Linux will work for most every home user and most business users.

And like RR showed, linux can run on older/lesser hardware if you choose hte correct distribution.

Mint runs hands-off for me once I install and configure it. I touch the kiddos machines maybe once or twice a year. They run until the hardware breaks. And if you start with quality refurb lenovo business class lappys, that can be a long time.

Starting with used business class laptops allows you to keep hot spares without breaking the bank. For instance, my daughter fell asleep on her laptop and busted the monitor. With the hot spare, I transferred the files (scp) & set up a login on the new laptop, and she was ready to go in under an hour. Faster than they can manage such at work and I work at Big Corp.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers