Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Originally Posted by pahick
Originally Posted by Clarkm
....My story is that MY son the software engineer gave me a computer.
When I updated Windows, Microsoft said I had a bootleg copy of the operating system.

Beware of software engineers bearing gifts.

LOL! I love this. Its funny to ME because it happened to me, and I was "poor" at the time(damn women) and I had to figure out a solution. So I read and read and read. Never took a class on the subject but now its so easy for me to hack a motherboard bios and windows once installed is activated permanently on MS servers. Or download an ISO and rip telemetry and all other useless junk(MS Store, etc) out creating a minimal OS just for me(or anyone else that slips a few $$ and wanted something one off at the time). Good side money lol.

Now linux thats a different story. Actually frustrates the hell out of me. Only use form of Debian headless on Raspberry Pi to run pihole and block...all sorts of stuff. Just had some files corrupt during an update and had to do a fresh install of Dietpi and ill be damned id get almost finished and go to reboot and the sob would fault on boot(something with kernel on the fresh OS is only thing I can think of). Tried 3 times and said screw it, went and reflashed the backup from 2021 and then updated everything from there. Perfect. But had me so damn pissed! A fresh install bad?!?! Even tried using another repository for downloads during install and never boot. GRRR!!! Give me Windows any day!!!

No offense intended, but that may have well been ancient Hebrew. As a near 30 year computer user, I understood and learned nothing from it. That examples my point with anything IT. It is utterly foreign language and it wrongly assumes that it is general knowledge withe the consumer and it never has been.

When I ran companies I issued instruction for IT to gather information and output reports daily as email attachments. That worked much more effectively that expecting a whole admin to execute search and learn every morning to function. It doesn't need to be complicated and for some reason, IT loves complication.

No offense taken. Takes a certain kind of person to want to know, whether its career, hobby, necessity or laziness. I grew up in the automotive business. What did I know about computers or networking? Not a damn thing. But when the issue I had arose I thought why the hell cant I do this? Geeks can do it and they cant rebuild a trans or setup a rear...so I read. Ive always been this way. One time my old man wanted me to help build a shed. We were slow at the shop so he started things off and told me what to do. I just did it. Since we were slow at work back then I looked for extra work. Ended up BSing my way into roofing. Never roofed before, just threw some shingles on a shed lol. Got to the 1st job site and im like f*~k! This aint no shed LOL. But I watched the other guys and just followed along. Did that for 3 years and went back to the shop. I just pick up on schit quick.

Most people dont want to be bothered...like me and linux. I just need to know enough to limp through with my pihole setup and be done with it.