Originally Posted by cullbuck
Originally Posted by barm
I bought a box of the 70 grain Speers to try in my 1-12” twist 221 Fireball. The box says 1-10 “ twist or greater. Has anyone had problems stabilizing these bullets in a 1-12?

I'm wondering about the 12 twist also. I was going to buy some to try in a 12 twist 22-250 that shoots the 63 gr. Sierra SMP's well.
Does anyone know if the Speer 70 gr. is more or less fragile than the Sierra 63 gr.? There hasn't been much left of the Sierra 63 gr. bullets in the deer I have killed and none have exited, however the deer remained quite dead.

Guess I am the biggest user of this stuff on this thread at least....

both bullets have always worked for me just fine... and no real mess ....only one time an issue someone would complain about...

dead deer, but if one had wanted to mount the head to hang on the wall, that wouldn't have worked...

scenario... it only had a horn on one side.... Came out of the brush off a forest service road, way back in back country. it was going to turn in the direction I was in, but saw me at 200 yds away... I was uphill from him, so he turned and started to run downhill instead....All I was presented with was the proverbial Texas Heart shot. I don't do those, but I have been presented with them numerous times over the years....So I aim over the tail on them....

Ruger 77 mk 2 in 22.250, with a 70 grain Speer... Took the shot... when I miss, I miss clean... but most time I connect. I am not aiming at the head and neck, I am concentrating of just over that bouncing up and down tail. The bullet struck home, right in the back of its neck....deer was running down hill and went head over heals...
it roll ass over teakettle 3 times... the other younger buck with him took off...

Bullet hit the spine.... and came right out the front of the neck..... the exit wound was about the size of an open book... 10 to 12 inches high, and each side of it was split evenly, just like an open book laying on the table... about 10 to 12 inches of spine was blow out with it...

the rest have been behind the shoulder shots.... and have been as instantly lethal.....

the spike that was with this buck, kept coming out of the woods trying to figure what happened, and why his buddy didn't get up and just run....

neck shots do make it easier to gut them, not having the internal blood filled mess... which was a convenience...

but the Speer bullet certainly does its job.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez