I did the same thing for my boy this year. I had loads worked up for 60 grain Partition, 64 grain Winchester Power Point, 70 grain speer and 62 grain Swift Scirocco. All were similar in accuracy through my 1:8 twist Ruger rifle. I had had a couple poor experiences with the 60 gr partition in the past. One dumb bad luck and one who knows. I have one kill on an antelope with the 64pp and it was pretty impressive. I decided to run with the Scirocco and it served us very well. My boy shot 4 doe throughout the season. All one shot kills. Ranges from 56-90 yards. All complete pass through. Deer ran from 35 to 70 yards. Two liver shots, one went 35, one went 70. One quartering shot got lung, liver and guts, went 35yds. One heart shot, went 70 yards. The shots that had guts had little to no blood. The heart shot had a large blood trail like any other round. The end of the season, I used the rifle to shoot three more deer at 120, 150, 180 yards. Deer ran 50, 50, 120 yards after the shot. The longer trail was due to hitting it back to far. Got liver and guts. The other two were heart/ lung and lung/liver shots. So in the season, we were 7 for 7, all one shot kills, all pass through.
I also have a friend that uses an AR with 62 gr Barnes X and he has killed about 10 that I have witnessed. All pass through shots with good blood. No deer has gone more than 30 yards that he has shot. All perfect placements on the top of the heart and in the lungs.
I would keep shots under 250 for that round. Placement is most important, and if you keep the shots in the chest, the deer will die.

Salmonhead