Originally Posted by flintlocke
They are a tad bit nicer than the Springfields...fit and finish-wise. Either is a prize. The Buffington sight, IMO is the best military sight of the era. I sure don't know how the gun experts/writers get off saying the Krags have one lug...I have owned several Krags, Springfield '96, 98, Norwegian and Danish...I have yet to see one that didn't have a front and rear lug bearing when in battery.

All Krags have one locking lug up front. The rear lug on a US Krag is considered to be a safety lug and was purposely held off about .020" from bearing against the receiver bridge. Norwegian Krags were built with that lug bearing against the steel. Some misguided folks here in the US over the years, when building custom rifles involving new or set-back barrels, have lapped the locking lug to the point where the safety lug bears too - a bad idea because that act removed the carburized (casehardened) bearing surface of the front lug exposing soft steel which promoted rapid wear and/or setback.

Neat thing about a Krag, if the front lug cracks and shears under load the bolt will never exit the gun straight back into the shooter's head. The safety lug throws/twists the bolt out to the side.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty