Hello Men,

I have an old FN Southgate Weatherby rifle in 257 Magnum, been itching to take it to Africa for plains game, i'm going this fall up to the little bush camp on The Limpopo, you can throw a rock into Botswana, great, great place to hunt, anyway, this rifle with 12 twist barrel will only stabilize the 100gr Swift A Frames and 100gr TTSX's that i have pulled the tips out of to make the bullets shorter, the 100gr TTSX with tip removed is shorter than the standard 100gr TSX, i dont lean on the old rifle too hard, all loads shoot into a half inch or less over Norma 204 powder for around 3450 fps from the rifles 24 inch barrel.

Question is, what's the upper limit of plains game you experienced hands would use this setup on? Blue Wildebeest and Waterbuck will be the largest plains game animals on the list, shots will be a max range of 300 yards and some could be 40 yards in the thick thorn, this little rifle drops white tail deer like a bag of hammers, never got a bullet back from double shoulder hits or raking rib shots to exit off shoulder, i have plenty of larger rifles, but would sure like to take this cool old Weatherby Mauser and hear of some experiences shooting quarter bores at plains game, shots can be placed with precision, but the perfect angle is often not presented, that's where the concern comes in, also, if this rifle were a 10 twist firing 115gr TSX or 120gr A Frames i wouldn't have started this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Trump Won!