10% seems to be about the norm for a guide. I begrudgingly give the same even when the service isn't very good. I just feel obligated. The people who deserve the least tips are the same people who are always suggesting that others have given them big tips and gifts. The whole system sucks.

I hunted bears in New Brunswick and met a very wealthy hunter in the camp. He had photos of himself with grizzly bears, polar bears, etc so he wasn't a BS artist. When the topic of tipping came up he said you never tip the outfitter, only the guide. Since is was the outfitter that was taking him out every evening he was not getting a tip. He said it is the way the industry works. He said he always tips well but won't be leaving a tip on this trip. Very surprised to hear his analogy.

When I hunt whitetails out-of-state, the "guide" merely drives me to my stand and picks me up. He is essentially just a driver, providing no guiding service whatsoever. Should he expect 10% or more of your total outlay? They always do.