Originally Posted by Ralphie
I’ve guided for a few years in Wyoming. I’ve never met another guide who wasn’t at least hoping if not expecting a tip. Now whether or not they deserved one could be debated. Like someone above posted it is the de facto norm, like it or not. If you don’t tip or tip poorly you will be remembered. If you tip well it’ll be appreciated. I’ve guided guys from fairly normal incomes to extremely wealthy. One guy who was extremely wealthy, and a lazy hunter, straight up told me his tip amount would depend on how big his bull was. Which isn’t something totally in my control. That was maybe the only conversation I’ve had with a client I was guiding about tipping. Other than when the tip was actually given.

I’ve had some bad tips that I thought were too low. I can tell you I won’t guide them again. I’ve seen fellow guides get shorted by clients and I wouldn’t guide them either.

If you can’t afford a generous tip, when deserved, you can’t afford the hunt.

I think it’s funny that African outfitters charge for a rifle rental. Maybe my next client I guide I’ll charge a saddle rental.😜. But as yet another poster said when in Rome.

Not everyone can afford what they'd like to. We did a lot of Mtn goat hunts, a once in a lifetime hunt for most. The goat in the avatar was shot by a guy who had lost his business and was 2 mos. late on his house payment. He offered me $150, not a big tip by any means but all he had. I gave it back with no regrets, someone was already paying me to ride their horse through beautiful country.

Another client gave me a generous tip and later gave me a Kabar knife he inherited from his Dad. I haven't a clue where the money went but I'll always have that knife.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!