Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I attended one of the first QJ rebuilding training sessions GM sponsored in 1966, at the GM traing center in Memphis. The first car to run a QJ was the 65 Chevy 396 big block, and that carb had some growing pains that couldn't be fixed. GM did a recall on all of them. I've probably built up several hundred of them since then. It's one of the best engineered carburetors on the market, with the Carter AFB running a close second. Edelbrock is a third rate clone of a Carter, with a bunch of manufacturing shortcuts used to reduce the cost of manufacture,. If you have a flow bench and several thousdand dollars' worth of tuning parts, go for an Edelbrock.

The trick is getting a QJ that's calibrated for a specific engine, since they were used on everything from a 230 cubic inch Pontiac overhead cam inline six to a 500 cubic inch Cadillac V8. One size definitely does not fit all! There are also 22 consecutive adjustments to make during a rebuild. Don't skip any of them, as many of them have an effect on the next one. The best way to clean any carburetor during a rebuild is to boil the parts in a big stainless steel stock pot, with water and Dawn dishwashing liquid. Then give all the parts a HOT water rinse, and blow massive quantities of compressed air from a needle-point blow gun through all the passages. The boil and rinse softens the deposits- - - -the air blows them clean. Spray can degreaser doesn't do much other than give the mechanic a good buzz. Have fun!

I was wondering when someone would get around to mentioning the Carter AFB.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH