I've spent a fair amount of time in various tents - backpacking to canvas in more than a few states. 20 degree temps and high humidity does make it feel colder but your not going to freeze to death. I normally camp 3-10 nights in TN during our Nov-Dec deer season and find it rather enjoyable. Buy good clothes, a true coldweather sleeping bag, and some kind of space heater and you'll be fine.

A trick I use across the country - 20,000 btu Camp Chef stove and a propane cylinder. In the AM or return in PM, turn on both burners on high, wait 5 minutes, it will be tee-shirt weather inside. I know about the oxygen issues for prolonged use without venting.......don't leave it run forever. I've done this at below zero a number of times. Works like a charm. The other option has been a Little Buddy heater. Most come with an oxygen sensor and will shut off if oxygen levels get low. I NEVER run a non-vented stove at night - a good sleeping bag alleviates the need.

I've never slept in an Alakanak but have slept in various other spacious nylon tents. Not a fan. They are light, roomy, but very prone to punctures, burn holes, and water leaks. I'd buy a Kodiak tent. I have 2, an 8x10 and 10x14. Compared to a true frame supported canvas outfitter tent, I find the Kodiak a bit smaller despite their stated size. 2 people max in the 8x10 and 3 in the 10x14. We tend to sleep in one and eat/hang out in the other. Canvas is where it's at for comfort.

I'd also offer: buy an Alps Escalade cot and find/buy a piece of memory foam. My cot setup is almost as comfortable as my bed at home. Plus the Alps is tall enough to store stuff under the cot.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.