I vote "Yay."

My dad, brother and I (age 17) deer hunted out of a homemade canvas wall tent in 1978 in the Catskill Mountains (south side of the Pepacton Reservoir, NY state). It was great experience.

My dad belonged to a hunting club in the area (nothing posh or high brow about it) . A simple cabin (on stilts) the members built from essentially scrap lumber in the 1960's. Running water, electricity, wood stove, propane cook stove, outhouse. It burned down in 1977.

My dad made a canvas wall tent, no larger than ~10 ft x 10 ft. Old propane heater for heat. Coleman stove under a fly outside the tent for cooking. Kerosene lantern for light ( and a couple of flashlights). Brought in 5 gallon jugs of water. Hunted for 4 days Thanksgiving week. Saw only does, but did not have a doe permit, so nothing was tagged.

It was cold, not "Montana cold." Highs in the 20's, , low teens(?) at night . About 4" of snow on the ground. We were warm enough in the tent with sleeping bags on GI cots. Food was good and hearty (nothing fancy or deluxe). The time spent with my dad and my brother was priceless-and feels like it happened last year.

Dad used his Savage 99 ( 300 Savage, with a 3x Leupold), and my brother and I used Marlin 336A rifles (30-30 with 4x Weavers). We still have the Marlins. My brother still has our dad's Savage 99.

Hope you decide to go tent hunting and fully enjoy the experience. I'd do it again in a heart beat if I could get my dad back- so would my brother.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."