This is my second year using an Alaknak 12x12 with a wood stove, and each trip was a little under 5 days at a time. I don’t think I’d bother setting it up unless the stay was that long at minimum. I don’t have any experience with canvas tents, but I’m sure they’re great. We have lots of critters that crawl and bite here, so I like a floor in my tent.

It rained a lot during each trip, and the only water issue was because the low end of our campsite allowed water to run into one corner. Lesson learned on finding a better draining campsite, as that’s an easy fix.

Before that, I’d only used dome tents, so this was a step up. If it’s gonna dip into the 20’s or below, I’ll never leave my wood stove behind again. The wood stove works great without condensation and plenty of warmth. Other heaters just didn’t do the job well for us. Any friends who don’t like to sleep slightly warm can pitch their own tents accordingly from now on. I don’t blame them one bit, but if I wanted to sleep cold, I’d just put my cot under a pop up canopy. It’d be about the same as not having a good wood stove.

My opinion about the Alaknak might change after a few more seasons, but I ain’t complaining much so far.