Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Resist the urge to modify it or "make it better".

If its "all original", that is great advice. If not, its fair game. The rifle I just bought, someone made it "better". I sold the leupold that was on it and am in the process of selling the bases and rings. When that happens, I'll have $300.00 into the rifle and its still worth $1,000.00+. Its all in how you see things.. I just bought a Tikka yesterday and someone did a lot of things to "make it better". I added up the cost of the stock, mountain tactical bottom metal, picatinny rail, and new bolt handle and the sum of parts were as much as I paid for the rifle. Ha ha.. Doesn't get much better than that.. plus the shop owner threw in a new set of Leupold 30mm rings. When I got there, he asked the typical question: "hi, what you looking for". I said a great deal, my typical response, you have any of those? He said, "pick any rifle and I'll make you a great deal". As for making said rifle "better". He can do that without hurting the originality and value of the rifle. A Mcmillan is a great example of that. Just keep the original stock stored safely so he can return it back to original if he ever wants. That's the beauty in these rifles. I wouldn't cut an original stock to put a recoil pad on it. If original, I probably wouldn't glass bed it either. He did good on the deal and can always make his money back. Cool deal as far as I'm concerned. Now I want to see how it shoots and looks when he gets it topped with that Leupold.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA