Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
FWIW I will buy any Pre64 Win Model 70 in this shape for $650.00. The scope and rings are worth 200. So if you can find Pre-64 Model 70s cheaper than 450.00 more power to you.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I've done a lot better, but you did fine too. One example was a 100% all original std wt 30-06. Paid $675 for it, and yes it was scoped with an older Redfield 3-9x40, that after doing some research found out it was a pretty sought after scope. Came with a peep sight, new in the box. Found out that was worth quite a bit as well. Keep in mind I sell everything, I don't need, on ebay. The stock was too nice, really, for what I wanted and it was all original with the steel butt plate. Not cut like many are. That went for $360.00, the scope for $250 or $275, but in that ballpark, the Lyman rear aperture another $120, the 22G3C for $120. You kind of get the picture. Yeah, I had to replace the stock. My good buddy smith had one he basically gave to me. Someone botched up a bedding job on it, so I installed pillars and it was great after that. It was also the same vintage, but a montecarlo, which suits me much better than the low comb. I replaced the original rear sight (22G/3C) with a flip up that cost me $25. Then I later sold the rifle to a great guy here and he was ecstatic about the rifle. Said it shot better than his Tikka's. He later sold all of his Tikka's and hung on to 2 rifles I sold to him and one he bought from Roger Rule. He sent the 338WM, he bought from me, to Gene Similion to install a Mcmillan on it. Gene said the trigger was perfect and wanted to know who worked on it. I found that to be a pretty good compliment. I've paid way less for some pre 64's, but those deals don't come around every day and they are not found in every "pawnshop". When you get lucky and find them, you pull out your wallet or you walk away and regret it later. A perfect example of that was a featherweight, made in '58, that I bought 2 years ago for $475. My all original 1956 fwt I paid $800 for. There have been 2 243 featherweights I've walked away from because I didn't have the money. They were both $800.00 and that was a year ago.

Originally Posted by shouldershot
Pre 64 models will often shoot very well without touching the bedding

You can hold on to that belief, but wood does funny things over time. I don't like glass bedding primo collectable pre 64's, but there have been known rifles that just tear up factory stocks. Step up to the magnums and cracked stocks are/were an issue. I've seen a lot of 338wm's and a couple 375's, that have been split. If you don't shoot much, then leaving them factory is fine. Hell, if that is the case a Leupold scope will work just fine too. Or take the original stock off and put it in a cardboard box and put the rifle in a Mcmillan. BTDT..

That 270 I bought last year I didn't bed. It will shoot these 150's sierras and 150 Speers like this. Yes, it is now zeroed I was shooting for groups I was shooting 150 sierras, 150 Hornady's and s150 Speer. It will not shoot the 150 Hornady's like it shoots the sierras and Speers. Maybe the rifle likes boattails over the flat base bullets ?? who knows.

[Linked Image]

The featherweight I got off you will shoot the 178ger eld-x
[Linked Image]

Very nice shooting pre's you got there buddy. I'm glad I sold that 30-06 to you. I remember when you were looking for one, so I gave that one up since I had a spare. Now I have another spare, but its in a Mcmillan and I like that rifle a lot and the other one has sentimental value, as it was made in '56. The same year my parents were born. Took a while to find that rifle.. I knew you would wring it out though. That is a great rifle. Functions about as perfectly as a guy could want. I wonder how Scotty's 212 load with 6.5 stabil would work in it? That would be a sledge hammer of a load..

212's are finally available again I should give it a try I have a bunch of staball 6.5 as well..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.