Originally Posted by Calhoun
Nice looking gun, Joe!!

[Linked Image]

I just picked one up this month also, in 300 Savage. Didn't mean to.. thought I put a lowball bid on it. Oops, won it!

Told the wife I accidentally bought a gun. She didn't think that was as funny as I did. grin

Yours is a good looking one! I need one of those peep sights.

Mine has been converted to have a removable magazine. It seems likely to be what's known as a "Krieger Conversion Model 81", meaning the magazine conversion was done by a company called Krieger & Sons in the early 50's. These are pretty sought after, apparently.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The Kreiger Conversion is fairly rare and sought after. The Model 81's run was from 1936-1950.
Kind of cheaper less fancier version of the previous Model 8 but the Model 8 was never chambered in 300 Savage. I don't know the manufacturing numbers by caliber, but I do know that I have never seen a Model 81 that wasn't a 300 Savage, although I know there were at least a few manufactured in the other Rem caliber family (30,32,35). Don't think there were any 25s made.

Rory, could this be the opening to another rabbit hole? Possibly another book? grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~